MY WIFE, I AM SORRY

MY WIFE, I AM SORRY
He woke up in the morning and found her praying.
He heard her praying for him.
He stared at her. It has been a long time since he
has seen her praying. For the past few months,
they have been arguing. Last night, they had a
nasty fight.
He went downstairs in a hurry to prepare himself
breakfast. These past days, she hasn't been
cooking for him.
Shock on him. He found breakfast already set at
the table. He ate.
He went back to the bedroom, to prepare for a
shower.
She left the shower.
"Good morning. Have a blessed day" she said as
she entertained the bedroom and he left for the
bathroom.
After his shower, all dressed up for work; he
found his wife at the kitchen, eating breakfast in
peace. She was looking at some funny videos on
her phone and giggling.
He looked at her then walked out the door. The
last look he had of her before he left was of her
at peace.
That last look disturbed him. This is not how she
should be. This is not how she has been. He has
been hurting her, she has recently found out that
he has been flirting with other women, he has
cheated once and used money meant for their
family on other women. She should be angry.
Her peaceful demeanor disturbed him.
Evening came. He went home and met his
peaceful wife again. She was cooking and
laughing with their children. She had come from
work two hours ago.
The dinner was enjoyable. Good food, she having
warm conversations with the children. He as the
father felt left out. His wife and children seemed
to be having fun despite him hurting them.
After dinner, as she washed the dishes and the
children had gone to bed. He approached her.
"Are you OK?" he asked her.
"I am more than OK. I am blessed" she answered.
"Are you not mad at me? After all that I am doing
and have done wrong?" he asked.
She placed the washed plate in the rack then
looked at him and said , "I asked myself, what is
the most important relationship in my life? The
one I have with you or the one with God? And I
realized it is the one with God. I live for God, not
for you. Marrying you was a blessing but it is not
all there is in life. God has blessed me with life
and I will not waste it crying because of the hurt
you cause me to feel"
She picked up a dirty glass and began washing it.
"I realized I had given you too much power. Yes,
you are my husband, the closest human being in
my life and the human being I love the most; but
you are not God. You have failed me but God
never fails me. I will not let you ruin my joy, my
peace and my progress. You break our marriage if
you want to, but I will hold on to God. And as I
hold on to God, I will be full of joy despite what
you do" She said rinsing the glass.
She looked at him and continued, "When you hurt
me and disrespected me, I realized I was acting
out like a woman who has no Jesus. I got mad
and hurled insults, I wanted to revenge and I
allowed you to mess me day after day. My
performance at work went down, I talked less to
our children, I became bitter to the children, I felt
sorry for myself, I developed ulcers. And then I
realized, I have God, I shouldn't act like someone
with no relationship with God. Why should I be
hopeless yet God is with me? I had focused so
much on you that I forgot about God. When you
found me, I had God. We dated and got married
and I let everything be about you because I
wanted to make our marriage work. Our marriage
became the idol I worship instead of the blessing
I have in God. Our marriage is failing apart
because of you but my relationship with God is
still intact"
She scrubbed the sufuria.
"You have chosen to abandon our marriage but
that doesn't mean my whole world has collapsed.
I will still continue being a good mother to our
children. They will never say the problems
between mom and dad made mom a monster.
You do as you please with other women, I will
raise our children"
She looked at him and told him, "Do I hate you?
No, it will be a lie to say I hate you. You are the
man I married, the one I vowed to, the one I love"
Tears fell down her cheeks. She wiped them.
"I can't just cancel all the years we've been
together. The Bible asks us to love our enemies.
If I am able to love my enemies, surely I can still
love you despite all you have done. I am angry
and disappointed, but I have taken my power
back. I live for God who has exceedingly blessed
me, not for you and the pain you cause"
She wiped her wet hands, took the apron from her
body and told him, "In my peace, I am planning
on where the children and I will move to. Since
you have chosen to have an affair, you have
shown clearly that you don't need us. So we will
not make your life uncomfortable by forcing you
to live with us. You need to be able to bring the
woman you are cheating with to your own house.
I am working on something. I came into this
house in peace and I will leave in peace. You will
not kill my smile and shine"
She walked to the bedroom.
Minutes later. He followed her to the bedroom. He
found her peacefully asleep.
He nudged her. He woke her up and said, "Please
don't go, don't move out. I will hurt you no more,
I will cheat no more. I am not OK. I want the
peace you have. I want to be the kind of husband
you are as a wife"
Since that day, he has been a reformed man. No
more affairs, hurting her, no flirting with other
women, or endless fights. She didn't move out.
She and the children stayed. He submitted to God
and learned how to be a good husband,
Love is powerful enough to humble the most
proud.