Take the leap. By Dr. Francis Okpaleke.

 


Sometimes all it takes to change a story, a generation or alter the course of one's destiny is taking that one step. A well-timed move. A perfectly struck conversation or a bold decision.

The trajectory of my life in the last half a decade can be tied to one major decision. It was one that the caused the domino effect for everything else to align. It is cumulative of several leaps in time.
The first leap was leaving my comfort zone. The crazy but destiny altering decision to relocate from Enugu to Abuja, without any job or permanent accommodation.
The second leap was refusing to settle for the job that brought some good side hustles, for the one that would eventually pave the way for the UK. If I settled for the former, I would have lost the opportunity that came with the latter.
The third leap was having a plan and executing it while in the UK. I saved every penny of my scholarship money as the seed needed for my next move.
The fourth leap was knowing when to move to another country. It was the best timed decision that set the ball rolling. It made me understand the power of time and seasons.
The fifth leap was striking while the iron was hot. A decision that would bring permanence to what started out a temporary journey. A leap that would eventually teach me the meaning of low-hanging fruits. They don't always hang low for long.
The sixth leap was knowing when to leave. It was so perfectly aligned and despite all the kerfuffle that came with it, all my fears for the future were dissipated. It taught me the power of speaking forth and the place of the bent knees in life dynamics.
The seventh leap was changing the way I knocked on the doors of job opportunities after 85 rejections in few months. A single insight was all it took for the knocks to come on my door. It learnt the change changer is always in the detail.
Today as I looked back to seven years ago, and take stock of the journey so far, I am convinced that the best things happen when we leap.
The mathematics may not have added up. The balance sheet sometimes did not balance. But I had a lot to reap for every leap.
The passage of time mellows viewpoints.
Breathe, leap and believe.