Never Compare. by Francis Okpaleke.

 

Oftentimes, we are faced with the temptation of defining our lives and measuring our self-worth using the progress of those around us as a yardstick. That former school friend that now lives abroad, the neighbour that drives a fancy car, and has a wonderful family, the close friend that works with a multinational company or a colleague/family member that is living the good life we hope for.

In our hearts, we wish them well but these nagging thoughts perpetually inundate our minds: God when? When will you bless me? Why do they have it all together? What are they doing differently? Why is my family not wealthy? 

I visited Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for a conference a few years ago and I left with an invaluable lesson. On arrival at the venue, I met fellow Africans who had come from Europe, Canada, and the United States as well as other parts of Africa to present their papers and I suddenly lost my confidence. It was my first time outside Nigeria and I was mesmerized seeing Ph.D. holders and Assistant Professors who were my age and had accomplished a lot in their respective fields. I only had my Bachelor’s degree.

As a matter of fact, the Chair of my session was a 28-year-old Assistant Professor from the United States. The verve to clearly articulate my paper left me and I was completely overshadowed by the thoughts of comparing my life with theirs. My troubling thoughts made me sad, vexed, and morose. I forgot that life is a cocoon that hatches after a protracted state of incubation and it is needless to compare the fecundity and maturity of the Iroko with other trees. 

Looking back, I have accomplished some of those things that seemed far-fetched and I have realized that the success of others does not mean I am failing. And that sometimes, the best things in life take time to materialize.

There have been other instances in my life where I have been tempted to compare my progress but my Tanzanian experience has been a sufficient learning curve. Rather, I have learned to celebrate the successes of others anticipating mine. This day, when I encounter upwardly mobile people, I draw closer to them to learn than compare. 

From my wealthy friends, I have learned the value of the investment. From my well-traveled buddies, I have mastered the fine art of traveling the world. My bookworm friends consistently sharpen my intellect and inspire me to write and from my secret admirers, I pick up key principles to better my life experience.

In life, our races are different. Some sprint to accomplishments while others run a marathon to achieve their goal. In the end, it is not by the length of our pace but oftentimes by the weight of God’s grace. So, never compare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria: Uproar As Nigerians Demand Release of Notorious Kidnapper, Evans

How to predict football matches accurately

Abstract and introduction for Hostel Management system database